A Party Called Grease


Yup, "Grease" is the word...the word that transported me back to my childhood days when I fondly recall my 4-year old self holding a hairbrush for a microphone and singing along "You're the One that I Want" while going down a flight of stairs at my lola's house, imitating the song's choreography.

Now, with 9Works Theatrical's staging of the updated version of "Grease", the younger generation can watch what "Grease" is all about (in case they have never seen the movie starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton John) while those who saw the movie and grew up with its songs can enjoy the 1950s pop culture all over again.


A powerhouse cast that is led by Gian Magdangal (Danny Zuko) and Frencheska Farr (Sandy Dumbrowski) promises to electrify its audiences and make them fall in love with the characters once more.  Joining Magdangal and Farr are Iya Villania and Jennifer Blair-Bianco (alternating as Betty Rizzo), newcomer Rafa Siguion-Reyna (Kenickie), Reb Atadero (Roger), Mark Tayag (Sonny Latierri), and Vince Lim (Doody) completes the T-bird members, while Carla Dunareanu (Marty), Peachy Atilano (Frenchie), and Sarah Facuri (Jan) rounds up the Pink Ladies.  Supporting cast members are Carlos Canlas (Johnny Cash), James Stacey (DJ Vince Fontaine), HArold Cruz (Eugene Florcyzk), Sab Jose (Patty Simcox), Angela Padilla (Miss Lynch), and Carmelle Ros and Ciara Sotto (alternating as Cha-cha Digregorio).

"You're the One that I Want"
And as for the Teen Angel who serenades Frenchie during "Beauty School Dropout," each show will feature a surprise guest for the role -- each one a notable stage, film or TV actor. The Teen Angel during the preview that I watched was Franco Laurel while JM Rodriguez, Raul Montesa and Michael de Mesa have appeared in the succeeding shows.

The Grease cast class picture
Watching the show, I couldn't help but stomp my feet, wiggle my fingers and sing-along to "Grease" favorites such as "Hopelessly Devoted to You," "Grease Lightning," and of course, "You're the One that I Want."  I really enjoyed the whole production and I must say that casting was perfect so congratulations to the artistic team led by  director Robbie Guevara and assistant director Lorenz Martinez, and to the production team led by executive producer Santi Santamaria.

Want to have a musical blast from the past? Join the gang and party with "Grease" at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza, Makati City on all weekends of November until December 1, 2013, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday gala at 8 pm, Saturday matinees at 3:30 pm and Sunday matinees at 4 pm.